CHANGE OF QUALITY OF A RADIOACTIVE WASTE UNDER LONG STORE TERMS
By calculation methods, the dose rate of the radioactive waste, behind concrete protection, was evaluated in current work. Parameters, which were taken in account in the calculations, are geometry of the protection shell, size of the source and its isotopic composition. As model geometrical parameters the spent fuel assembly’s size and thickness of the concrete wall of the ventilated storage container (VSC)-VVER were taken. The computer program that does numerical calculation was composed in the Wolfram Alpha environment. The program takes into account change of the isotopic composition and spectra of gamma-radiation with time. Calculation results were compared to the known data on the spent nuclear fuel heat dissipation. Approach described in this work can be used for fast estimation of change in the quality of radioactive waste (RAW) in the long-term storage without recycling, for different initial isotopic composition. Obtained results were analyzed on the matter of change in gamma-radiation of RAW.
2. Nosovsky A.V., Vasilchenko A.N., Pavlenko A.A., Pismenny E.N., Shirokov S.V. Ed. A.V. Nosovsky. Vvedenie v bezopasnost' yadernyh tekhnologij. Seria: Safety of nuclear power plants. [Introduction to the safety of nuclear technology]. – K: Tehnіka, 2006.-268 p. (in Russian)
3. Azhazha V.M., Belous V.A., Habelkov H.V., Dzhur Ye.O., Krykun Yu.O., Levenets V.V., Lysychenko H.V., Neklyudov I.M., Sayenko S.Yu., Tarasov R.V., Shylyayev B.A., Shyrokov B.M., Schur A.O. Ed. I.M. Neklyudov. Povodzhennja z vіdprac'ovanim jadernim palivom ta radіoaktivnimi vіdhodami. Seria: Nuclear Energy [Spent nuclear fuel and radioactive waste management]. – K.: Naukova Dumka, 2006.-253 p. (in Ukrainian)
4. Akhmetzyanov V.R., Lashchenova T.N., Maximov O.A. Obrashhenie s radioaktivnymi othodami. [Radioactive waste management]. – M.: Energy, 2008. – 2 82 p. (in Russian)
5. Rudychev V.G., Alekhina S.V., Goloshchapov V.N., Zalyubovskiy I.I., Klimov S.P., Kostikov A.O., Luchnaja A.E., Matsevity Y.M., Pismenetsky S.A., Pyshnyj V.M., Sednev V.A., Tishhenko V.A. Bezopasnost' suhogo hranenija otrabotavshego jadernogo topliva. Seria: Safety of nuclear power plants. [The safety of dry storage of spent nuclear fuel]. – Kharkiv: HNU imeni V.N. Karazina, 2013. – 200 p. (in Russian)
6. Rukovodstvo po bezopasnosti RB-023-02: Rekomendacii po ustanovleniju kriteriev priemlemosti kondicionirovannyh radioaktivnyh othodov dlja ih hranenija i zahoronenija. [Security Guide RB-023-02: Guidelines for the establishment of acceptance criteria for conditioned radioactive waste storage and disposal]. Gosatomnadzor RF, introduced 1.03.2002. (in Russian)
7. Way K., Wigner E. Radiation from Fission Products // Phys. Rev. - 1946. – Vol. 70. – No. 1 - 2. – P. 115 - 130.
8. Gribin A.A., Pologih B.G Ostatochnoe energovydelenie produktov delenija 235U teplovymi nejtronami. [The residual energy release of 235U fission by thermal neutrons] // Atomic Energy. – 1981. – Vol. 51. – Iss. 1. – P. 16-19. (in Russian)
9. McNair A. Bannister F.J., Keith R.L.G., Wilson H.W. A measurement of the energy released as kinetic energy of β-particles emitted in the radioactive decay of the fission products of 235U // J. Nucl. Eng. – 1969. – Vol. 23. – No. 2. – P. 73.
10. Pismenetsky S.A., Pyshkin V.B., Rudychev V.G., Rudychev E.V. Ocenka ostatochnogo teplovydelenija otrabotavshego topliva VVER-1000 [Evaluation of the residual heat of VVER-1000 spent fuel] // The Journal of Kharkiv National University, physical series “Nuclei, Particles, Fields”. – 2008. – No.794. – Iss.1(37). - P.69-72. (in Russian)
11. Bergelson B.R., Gerasimov A.S., Zaritskaya T.S., Tikhomirov G.V. Ostatochnoe jenergovydelenie i radiotoksichnost' aktinoidov i produktov delenija pri dlitel'nom hranenii otrabotavshego topliva VVЕR s povyshennym vygoraniem [The residual energy release and radiotoxicity of actinides and fission products with long-term storage of PWR spent fuel with high burnup]. // Atomic Energy. – 2007. – Vol.102. – Iss. 5. – P.292-296. (in Russian)
12. Kolobashkin V.M. et al. Radiacionnye harakteristiki obluchennogo jadernogo topliva: Handbook. [The radiation characteristics of irradiated nuclear fuel] Under the general editorship V.M. Kolobashkin. – M.: Energoatomizdat, 1983. – 382 p. (in Russian)
13. Gusev N.G. Zashhita ot ionizirujushhih izluchenij. Vol.1 [Protection against Ionizing Radiation]. – M.: Energoatomizdat, 1989. – 512 p. (in Russian)
14. Mashkovich V.P., Kudryavtseva A.V. Zashhita ot ionizirujushhih izlucheni: Handbook. [Protection against Ionizing Radiation]. 4th Edition. – M.: Energoatomizdat, 1995. – 496 p. (in Russian)
15. Galanin A.D. Vvedenie v teoriju jadernyh reaktorov na teplovyh nejtronah [Introduction to the theory of nuclear reactors on thermal neutrons] 2nd ed., Rev. and Sub. - M.: Energoatomizdat, 1990. – 536 р. (in Russian)
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).