RESEARCHES OF THE PROPERTIES OF MATERIALS USED FOR PROTECTION FROM NEUTRON RADIATION USING BONNER SPHERE SPECTROMETER WITH A 3He-COUNTER
The energy and pulse height spectrums after passage of neutron radiation through samples of materialsmost often used to protect against neutron radiation (paraffin, paraffin with boric acid, paraffin with boric acid and lead, polyethylene, polyethylene with boron and boron carbide) are measured using a PuBe neutron source using a NEMUS spectrometer on Bonner spheres with 3He -counter. The values of linear attenuation coefficients and neutron relaxation lengths in these materials, neutron spectra for these materials are given. The percentage of neutrons in the energy subbands is determined according to the radiation weighting factor. The neutron flux density, the ambient dose equivalent power, the absorbed dose rate in the neutron radiation air, the transition coefficients from the neutron fluence to the ambient dose equivalent and average neutron radiation energy are measured. Calculation of energy spectrum, basic characteristics of neutron radiation and extended uncertainties is performed by the MAXED (maximum entropy and deconvolution), applying the Bayes theorem, method using the UMG_3.3 software.
2. Reginatto M., Goldhagen P., Neumann S. Spectrum unfolding, sensitivity analysis and propagation of uncertainties with the maximum entropy deconvolution code MAXED // Nuclear Instruments and Method in Physics Research. Section A. – 2002. – Vol. 476. – P. 242-246.
3. Reginatto M., Goldhagen P. MAXED, A computer code for maximum entropy deconvolution of multisphere neutron spectrometer data // Health Physics. – 1999. – Vol. 77. – No. 5. – P. 579-583.
4. Reginatto M. What can we learn about the spectrum of high-energy stray neutron ﬁelds from Bonner sphere measurements? // Radiation Measurements. – 2009. – Vol. 44. – P. 692-699.
5. Mashkovich V.P., Kudryavceva A.V. Protection against ionizing radiation: Handbook. – M.: Energoatomizdat, 1995. – 496 p. (in Russian)
6. Kozlov V.F. Handbook of Radiation Safety. – M.: Energoatomizdat, 1987. – 192 p. (in Russian)
7. Packing unit for transportation of radioisotope sources of neutrons: Patent 98578 Ukraine, MKI G21F 5/00 / V.E. Ostrovskykh, G.V. Sapelkina (Ukraine); Zayavleno 23.12.2014; Publ. 27.04.2015. – 4 p. (in Ukrainian)
8. Radiation-protective packaging device for transportation of radioisotope sources of neutrons: Patent 107486 Ukraine, MKI G21F 5/00 / V.E. Ostrovskykh, E.V. Rudichev, G.V. Sapelkina (Ukraine); Zayavleno 03.12.2015; Publ. 10.06.2016. – 4 p. (in Ukrainian)
9. WebMATE. User Manual. ICx Technologies GmbH. WebMATE/en/1.4(3967). – Solingen. – 2009. – 16 p.
10. WinTMCA32. User Manua. ICx Technologies GmbH. WebMATE/en/1.2(3366). – Solingen. – 2009. – 134 p.
11. Reginatto M., Wiegel B., Zimbal A., UMG 3.3 – Unfolding with MAXED and GRAVEL, available from the NEA Data Bank // http://www.oecd-nea.org/tools/abstract/detail/nea-1665, https://rsicc.ornl.gov/codes/psr/psr5/psr-529.html.
12. Reginatto M. The «few-channel» unfolding programs in the UMG package: MXD_FC33, GRV_FC33 and IQU_FC33. UMG package, version 3.3. PTB. – Braunschweig. – 2004. – 51 p.
13. Ivanskyi V.B., Letuchyi A.N., Orobinskyi А.N., Siroko H.V. Measurement of the main characteristics of PuBe and 238PuBe neutron sources using Bonner sphere spectrometer with a 3He-counter // East European Journal of Physics. V.N. Karazin Kharkiv National University, Publishing. – 2017. – Vol. 4. – No 2. – P. 53-65. (in Russian)
14. Ivanskyi V.B., Letuchyi A.N., Orobinskyi А.N., Siroko H.V. Researches of the spectrum of PuBe and 238PuBe neutron sources using Bonner sphere spectrometer with a 3He-counter // Proceedings of the International scientific-technical conference «METROLOGY-2017». – Minsk. – 2017. – P. 136 – 141. (in Russian)
15. Reginatto M., Goldhagen P. MAXED. A computer code for the deconvolution of multisphere neutron spectrometer data using the maximum entropy method // Environmental Measurements Laboratory. EML-595. U.S. Department of Energy. – New York. – 1998. – 40 p.
16. Wiegel B., Alevra A.V., Siebert B.R.L. Calculations of the Response Functions of Bonner Spheres with a Spherical 3He Proportional Counter. Using a Realistic Detector Model / PTB-Bericht N-21. – Braunschweig. – 1994. – 84 p.
17. Compendium of Neutron Spectra and Detector Responses for Radiation Protection Purposes. Supplement to Technical Reports Series No. 318 / Technical Reports Series No. 403. IAEA. – Vienna. – 2001. – 337 p.
18. Compendium of Dose Coefficients based on ICRP Publication 60 / ICRP Publication 119. – International Commission on Radiological Protection. – 2012. – 130 p.
19. Radiation Hygiene. Basic sanitary regulations of radiation safety of Ukraine. State sanitary regulations. 6.177-2005-09-02. – Kyiv. – Vidannya oficiine. – 74 p. (in Ukrainian)
20. Shielding bricks NEUTROSTOP // http://www.kopos.com/en/neu-neutrostop.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).