DIAGONAL EARLOBE CREASE: FRANK'S SIGN IN ISCHEMIC HEART DISEASE
The article emphasizes the necessity of meticulous physical examination of the patient in the modern clinical practice. Two clinical examples of diagonal earlobe crease, also known as Frank’s sign, are given. Both cases describe patients with ischemic heart disease, but age of patients and severity of Frank’s sign differ. The literature data about its frequency in different groups of population as well as the clinical significance and possible underlying pathophysiological mechanisms of Frank’s are shown.
2. Sherertz E.F. Stated age / E.F. Sherertz, S.P. Hess // N. Engl. J. Med. – 1993. – No. 4. – p. 281–282.
3. Chang H.J. Lower extremity purpura / H.J. Chang // JAMA. – 2011. – No. 305. – p. 1911–1912.
4. Yabluchanskiy M. I. Internal diseases: the time of global somatic risk. / M. I. Yabluchanskiy,
A. M. Yabluchanskiy, O. Y. Bychkova et al] // The Journal of V. N. Karazin Kharkiv National University, series Medicine. – 2013. – No. 25. – p. 5–7.
5. Bulpitt C.J. Why do some people look older than they should? / C.J. Bulpitt, H.L. Markowe, M.J. Shipley // Postgrad Med J. – 2001. – No. 77. – p. 578–581.
6. Gunn D.A. Why some women look young for their age / D.A. Gunn, H.Rexbye, C.E. Griffiths et al] // PLoS One. – 2009. – No. 4. – p.e8021.
7. Fink B. The effects of skin colour distribution and topography cues on the perception of female facial age and health / B.Fink, P.J. Matts // J. Eur. Acad. Dermatol. Venereol. – 2008. – No. 22. – p. 493–498.
8. Griffing G. Frank's Sign / G. Griffing // N. Engl. J. Med. – 2014. – No. 370. – p. e15.
9. Bogun L. V. Amiodarone-induced thyroid dysfunction: clinical case with literature review / L. V. Bogun // The Journal of V. N. Karazin Kharkiv National University, series Medicine. – 2016. – No. 16. – p. 62-67.
10. Raman R. Diagonal ear lobe crease in diabetic south Indian population: Is it associated with diabetic retinopathy? Sankara Nethralaya Diabetic Retinopathy Epidemiology And Molecular-genetics Study (SN-DREAMS, Report no. 3) / R. Raman, P.K. Rani, V. Kulothungan et al] // BMC Ophthalmol. – 2009. – No. 9. – p. 11.
11. Davis T. M. The diagonal ear lobe crease (Frank's sign) is not associated with coronary artery disease or retinopathy in type 2 diabetes: The Fremantle Diabetes Study / T. M. Davis, M. Balme, D. Jackson et al] // Aust.N .Z. J. Med. – 2000. – No. 30. – p.573 – 577.
12. Edston E. The earlobe crease, coronary artery disease, and sudden cardiac death: An autopsy study of 520 individuals / E. Edston // Am. J. Forensic. Med. Pathol. – 2006. – No. 27. – p. 129-133.
13. Frank S. T. Aural sign of coronary-artery disease / S. T. Frank // N. Engl. J. Med. – 1973. – No. 289. – p. 327–328.
14. Kamal R. Diagonal earlobe crease as a significant marker for coronary artery disease: a case-control study / R. Kamal, K. Kausar, A.H. Qavi et al] // Cureus. – 2017. – No. 9(2). – p. e1013.
15. Wang Y. Relationship between diagonal earlobe creases and coronary artery disease as determined via angiography / Y. Wang, L.-H. Mao, E.Z. Jia et al] // BMJ Open. – 2016. – No. 6. – p.e008558.
16. Yin Huihe. The basic theory of Chinese traditional medicine. 2nd edn. Beijing: People’s Medical Publishing House Co., Ltd (PMPH), 1985:9.
17. Petrakis N. L. Diagonal earlobe creases, type A behavior and the death of Emperor Hadrian /
N. L. Petrakis // West J Med. – 1980. – No. 132(1). – p. 87–91.
18. Friedlander A. H. Diagonal ear lobe crease and atherosclerosis: A review of the medical literature and dental implications / A. H. Friedlander, J. López-López, E. Velasco-Ortega // Medicina Oral, Patología Oral Y Cirugía Bucal. – 2012. – No. 17(1). – p. e153–e159.
19. URL: http://ancientrome.ru/art/artworken/img.htm?id=548
20. Petrakis N. L. Earlobe crease in women: evaluation of reproductive factors, alcohol use, and Quetelet index and relation to atherosclerotic disease / N. L. Petrakis // Am J Med. – 1995. – No. 99(4). – p. 356–361.
21. Lee J. S. Diagonal earlobe crease is a visible sign for cerebral small vessel disease and amyloid-β /
J.S. Lee, S. Park, H. Kim et al] // Sci Rep. – 2017. – No. 7(1). – p. 13397.
22. Aligisakis M. Did Dumbo suffer a heart attack? Independent association between earlobe crease and cardiovascular disease / M. Aligisakis, P. Marques-Vidal, I. Guessous, P. Vollenweider // BMC Cardiovasc Disord. – 2016. – No. 16. – p. 17.
23. Higuchi Y. Diagonal earlobe crease are associated with shorter telomere in male Japanese patients with metabolic syndrome / Y. Higuchi, T. Maeda, J. Z. Guan et al] // Circ J. – 2009. – No. 73. – p. 274–279
24. Wu X. Diagonal earlobe crease and coronary artery disease in a Chinese population/ X. Wu, D.Yang,
Y. Zhao et al] // BMC Cardiovasc Disord. – 2014. – No. 14. – p. 43.
25. Choi S.I. Relationship between earlobe crease and brachial-ankle pulse wave velocity in non-hypertensive, non-diabetic adults in Korea / S. I. Choi, H. C. Kang, C.O. Kim et al] // Epidemiol Health. – 2009. – No. 3. – p. e2009002.
26. Celik S. Diagonal ear-lobe crease is associated with carotid intima-media thickness in subjects free of clinical cardiovascular disease / S. Celik, T. Erdogan, O. Gedikli et al] // Atherosclerosis. – 2007. – No. 192. – p. 428-431.
27. Sapira J. D. Earlobe creases and macrophage receptors / J. D. Sapira // South Med J. – 1991. – No. 84. – p. 537 – 538.
28. Kaydalova A. O. The importance of the individual approach to the patient on the example of clinical case / A. O. Kaydalova, O. Dzh. Abdel Wahhab, S. D. Asaje et al] // The Journal of V. N. Karazin Kharkiv National University, series Medicine. – 2017. – No. 33. – p. 63–66.
Copyright (c) 2017 The Journal of V. N. Karazin Kharkiv National University, series "Medicine"
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
The Journal of V. N. Karazin Kharkiv National University, series Medicine has following copyright terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work’s authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal’s published version of the work, with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work.