PROTEOLYTIC DEGRADATION OF POLY (ADP-RIBOSE) POLYMERASE IN RATS WITH CARRAGEENAN-INDUCED GASTROENTEROCOLITIS
The aim of the research was to study the activity of poly (ADP-ribose) polymerase in small intestinal homogenate of rats with chronic carrageenan-induced gastroenterocolitis, as well as mechanisms of regulation of the enzyme in this pathology. Twenty Wistar Albino Glaxo rats were divided into two groups. Animals of group 1 (n = 10) consumed 1 % carrageenan solution for 28 days, which resulted in the development of gastroenterocolitis confirmed morphologically. The control group consisted of intact animals (n = 10). The activity of poly (ADP-ribose) polymerase (PARP) in the homogenate of small intestine, as well as caspase-3, matrix metalloproteinase-2 (MMP-2) and matrix metalloproteinase-9 (MMP-9) serum levels were determined. Obtained data were statistically processed using the Mann-Whitney U test and calculating median and interquartile range (Me, 25th–75th percentile) with the help of the GraphPad Prism 5 application. The development of carrageenan-induced gastroenterocolitis was accompanied by an increase in caspase-3,
MMP-2, MMP-9 concentrations in blood serum and a decrease in the activity of PARP in small intestinal homogenates. The reduced activity of PARP in chronic carrageenan-induced gastroenterocolitis may be due to the proteolysis of this enzyme under the action of caspase-3, MMP-2, and MMP-9.
[R Prasad, JK Horton, PD Chastain, NR Gassman, BD Freudenthal, EW Hou, SH Wilson] // Nucleic Acids Res. – 2014. – Vol. 42 (10). – P. 6337–6351. DOI: 10.1093/nar/gku288.
2. The PARP family: insights into functional aspects of poly (ADP-ribose) polymerase-1 in cell growth and survival / [T Jubin, A Kadam, M Jariwala, S Bhatt, S Sutariya, AR Gani, S Gautam, R Begum] // Cell Proliferation. – 2016. – Vol. 49 (4). – P. 421–437. DOI: 10.1111/cpr.12268.
3. In vivo activated caspase-3 cleaves PARP-1 in rat liver after administration of the hepatocarcinogen N-nitrosomorpholine (NNM) generating the 85 kDa fragment / [J Wesierska-Gadek, M Gueorguieva,
J Wojciechowski, S Tudzarova-Trajkovska] // J. Cell. Biochem. – 2004. – Vol. 93, № 4. – P. 774–87.
4. PARP-1 cleavage fragments: signatures of cell-death proteases in neurodegeneration / [GV Chaitanya,
AJ Steven, PP Babu] // Cell Commun. Signal. – 2010. – Vol.8:31.
5. Gubina-Vakyulyk G. I. Damage and regeneration of small intestinal enterocytes under the influence of carrageenan induces chronic enteritis / G. I. Gubina-Vakyulyk, T. V. Gorbach, A. S. Tkachenko [et al.] // Comparative Clinical Pathology – 2015. – Vol. 24, (6). – P. 1473-1477. DOI: 10.1007/s00580-015-
6. Gubina-Vakulik G. I., Morfologicheskoe sostojanie tonkogo kishechnika pri dlitel'nom upotreblenii pishhevoj dobavki karraginan / G. I. Gubina-Vakulik, A. S. Tkachenko, M. A. Orlova // Vіsnik problem bіologії і medicini. – 2014. – Vol. 3 (109), Issue 2. – P. 252–256.
7. Sumbayev V. V. / V. V. Sumbayev, I. M. Yasinska, A. Y. Kosanov // Biochem. Soc. Trans. - 2000. – Vol. 28, № 5. – P.335.
8. Matrix Metalloproteinase-2 (MMP-2) gene deletion enhances MMP-9 activity, impairs PARP-1 degradation, and exacerbates hepatic ischemia and reperfusion injury in mice / H Kato, S Duarte, D Liu, RW Busuttil, AJ Coito // PloS One. – 2015. – Vol. 10 (9). DOI: 10.1371/journal.pone.0137642.
9. Tkachenko A. S. Pokazateli funkcional'nogo sostojanija jendotelija sosudov tonkogo kishechnika pri hronicheskom jeksperimental'nom gastrojenterokolite / A. S. Tkachenko // Vіsnik problem bіologії і medicini. – 2014. – Vol. 3 (112), Issue 3. – P. 204–207.
10. Tkachenko A. S. Sistema generacii oksida azota pri jeksperimental'nom gastrojenterokolite / A. S. Tkachenko, V. G. Gopkalov, M. A. Orlova // Bukovins'kij medichnij vіsnik. – 2014. – Vol. 18, № 2 (70). – P. 109–112.
11. Review of harmful gastrointestinal effects of carrageenan in animal experiments / [J. K. Tobacman] // Environmental Health Perspectives. – 2001. – Vol. 109, № 10. – P. 983–994.
Copyright (c) 2017 The Journal of V. N. Karazin Kharkiv National University, series "Medicine"
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
The Journal of V. N. Karazin Kharkiv National University, series Medicine has following copyright terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work’s authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal’s published version of the work, with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work.